Wednesday, March 19, 2008

MY FIRST HERO

Today marks the second anniversary of Bill's passing. And, while I miss my brother very much, I believe that I am finally coming to grips with the fact that I will never see him again on earth. I still lose it sometimes - and I probably always will - but then I think that he's probably saying, "Stop it and get on with your life."

Back in 1984, Bill and I were driving through the Hollywood Hills when we had our first conversation about his drinking. Until I moved to L.A. I did not realize that he had a real problem. Somehow, we got to a point in the conversation where we started to discuss our hero's. I can't remember who he mentioned, but I know that Keith Richards came into the conversation. When he asked me who my hero was I think I floored him when I said, "You".

In retrospect, I realize that I moved to L.A. to follow in the footsteps of my hero, my brother. And, when I moved back east, although I still loved him, and in many ways still looked up to him, I found other hero's.


This past Saturday I walked around Brooklyn and Manhattan, tracing some of the footsteps of my first hero. While doing so, I stirred up many forgotten memories of doing things with Bill. From Dean Street in Brooklyn, to Thompson Street, West 58th Street and West 16th Street in Manhattan, I visited all of the places where Bill lived after he left home.

While I had no idea of the exact address on Dean Street, thanks to Mike Groob I was able to pin down the street. I also had no clue of Bill's address on Thompson Street, but I guessed that since he was attending NYU he probably lived in close proximity to the intersection of West 3rd Street so that's the place I visited.

I was old enough to remember West 58th Street but oblivious to the infamy related to the location. The apartment on West 16th Street holds the best memories for me and probably played a big role in Bill becoming my hero.

I'm sure many of you - especially those of you who knew him on the East Coast - have many memories of him. I am saddened by the fact that none of you have shared those memories, especially since I remember hearing about how much fun you had with Bill. Let's face it, Bill did not live an ordinary life. He seemed to push the limit every chance he got. He added something to all of our lives and he still can if we share our memories.

Over the next week or two, I'll be sharing the photos of my trip along with the memories the trip uncovered. I really hope when you see the photos that you decide that it's time to share you memory. After all, how do you top a story about Bill's life.

Thanks for visiting and if you pray, remember Bill when you do. Stay well.

Phil

1 comment:

Donna Ferri said...

I went to NYU w/ Billy & I've never forgotten him. I just found out yesterday through another alum that he had died & I've been terribly sad ever since.
Billy & I worked at the NYU radio station together & went to parties together, where at one I met & briefly dated his friend, Lanny Meyers, also a musician.
But the most fun was being in Billy's movies. I remember going to lots of parks to do the filming - My part was always that of the young girl walking through the park, smelling flowers & leaning against trees. This was 1969-70, a very cool time to be young & to know someone like Billy, who was really fun, very cute, hip, talented...and to me, always very sweet. The sweetness is what I remember most - In fact, when I learned of Billy's death, I immediately said "He was such a sweet boy."
You know how so often it's the simplest moments that will stay w/ you? Well, for the last 39 years I've been flashing on this moment: I'm sitting on the grass in Washington Square Park. It's a beautiful day, I'm listening to "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart, & waiting for Billy to meet me to shoot a park scene. That's all - so simple, so carefree, but so impactful for me that every time I hear that song, I feel that moment...and think of Billy. I know now that I'll continue to do so for the rest of my life, but now the memory will be bittersweet.
My beloved brother, Larry, died on 8/28/04. He was 50. I miss him every day. I was moved when you wrote "...if you pray, remember Bill when you do" because I ask people to to the same thing for my brother. I will now always pray for both of them.
Rest in peace, Billy...