Tuesday, September 16, 2008

DONNA FROM NYU REMEMBERS BILL

If you read through the entire blog, you will probably see the following message as a comment to one of the entries. I thought that it worthy of a post of its own. Thanks for your memory Donna and please send and email or make a comment if any other memories come to mind. It is always so nice to get another person's perspective on who Bill was.

I went to NYU w/ Billy & I've never forgotten him. I just found out yesterday through another alum that he had died & I've been terribly sad ever since.

Billy & I worked at the NYU radio station together & went to parties together, where at one I met & briefly dated his friend, Lanny Meyers, also a musician.

But the most fun was being in Billy's movies. I remember going to lots of parks to do the filming - My part was always that of the young girl walking through the park, smelling flowers & leaning against trees. This was 1969-70, a very cool time to be young & to know someone like Billy, who was really fun, very cute, hip, talented...and to me, always very sweet. The sweetness is what I remember most - In fact, when I learned of Billy's death, I immediately said "He was such a sweet boy."

You know how so often it's the simplest moments that will stay w/ you? Well, for the last 39 years I've been flashing on this moment: I'm sitting on the grass in Washington Square Park. It's a beautiful day, I'm listening to "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart, & waiting for Billy to meet me to shoot a park scene. That's all - so simple, so carefree, but so impactful for me that every time I hear that song, I feel that moment...and think of Billy. I know now that I'll continue to do so for the rest of my life, but now the memory will be bittersweet.

My beloved brother, Larry, died on 8/28/04. He was 50. I miss him every day. I was moved when you wrote "...if you pray, remember Bill when you do" because I ask people to to the same thing for my brother. I will now always pray for both of them.

Rest in peace, Billy...

No comments: