Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A FEW WORDS FROM "BOB"

Most of what has been posted during this month has been written by critics and those who had an interest in promoting "Comin' At Ya!". The following is an excerpt from a DVD review on Amazon.com from an author who identified himself only as "Bob". I have included only the part of the review that speaks to the theater release of "Comin' At Ya!".

The year was 1981 when "Comin' at Ya" was released to the theatre. I was in high school at the time and like others my age who saw the commercials for "Comin' at Ya" was wondering what this was. It was a Friday afternoon when I had finished work at the mall. I happened to check out the theatre and that movie "Comin' at Ya' was playing. Since the commercials (a good ad campaign) had me curious, I decided to see it. That day I had one of the most fun experiences if not the most fun I had ever had in a theatre. The audience was filled with both types of 3-D viewers, the screamers and the cheerers. The guy behind me was shouting "don't do it", I on the other hand was shouting "do it" (this was in the opening scene when Tony Anthony was pointing a shotgun at the audience). "Comin' at Ya" made no pretense as to what it was; it was a 3-D movie that was simply going to throw everything at you and use a simple plot so you would not miss anything while you were busy ducking. This was an entertaining, interactive thrill ride that lasted 90 minutes and left you wanting more. Dan Symmes in Cinefantastique magazine referred to "Comin' at Ya" as bad 3-D (due to vertical and horizontal convergence) and since viewers like myself had not seen good 3-D we were apparently too ignorant to know the difference. Well smack me in the face with a brick, I along with the rest of the audience were too stupid to know that we really weren't enjoying ourselves. My thoughts toward his remarks involve the words egotistical and jealous. Tony Anthony wanted to make a 3-D movie. Not only in 3-D but entertaining as well. "Comin' at Ya' was an experimental film that took a basic western plot of the bad guy steals good guys bride, so good guy tracks down bad guy and applies several forms of justice (western justice...he..he). They made a fun movie that was soley responsible for revamping the interest in 3-D movies only to have it put down by those who tried to copy what they did and most of them failed miserably and destroyed any interest in 3-D movies. "Comin' at Ya' succeeded in the task of simply being a movie that was a lot of fun for an audience and did not pretend to be anything else.

No comments: