Sunday, August 20, 2006

IT WAS 25 YEARS AGO TODAY...

In order to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the release of "Comin' At Ya!" in New York City, my wife, my stepdaughters and I watched the movie on DVD. Two notes if you ever do this:

1. The 3-D is not even close to what you may have seen in the theater.
2. The 3-D glasses were folded the wrong way - reverse the fold.

I wanted to watch the movie in hopes that it would rekindle memories of the time that I saw it - and, to a certain extent, it did. Even though objects were not coming off the screen or hovering above you, seeing the movie reminded me how good the effects were. I would definitely see it again if it were appearing in a 3-D film festival.

My biggest disappointed with the DVD is that it lacked the end credits. I was really looking forward to seeing the full screen credit that read:



When I saw "Comin' At Ya!" at the 8th Street Playhouse twenty-five years ago, as the closing credits rolled and reach Bill we heard a big cheer from the back of the theater. When the lights went on, we saw that it was Bill and two other people (if my recollection is correct one of then was Jim McCalmont).

We were all proud of Bill's accomplishment. The shame of it all was that in about two and a half years the latest 3-D craze had ended.

As I watched, I wondered if Bill would have celebrated this month. And I still don't have an answer to that question.

But, whether he would or wouldn't, I salute him now with a term he used in many cards I received through the years:

CHEERS!

No comments: