Saturday, March 17, 2007

HAPPY ST. PADDY'S DAY

I'm not sure what, if any, meaning St. Patrick's Day had to Bill, but I'm pretty confident that at least during his New York days he celebrated the same way the rest of the city did.

I don't recall whether I told Bill what St. Patrick meant to me, and since you are part of what keeps Bill alive, I thought I would share that with you. When I was diagnosed with Hairy Cell Leukemia a few years back, I really thought I was going to die. And, while I had returned to fully practicing my Catholicism a few years before, this event strengthened my faith. As I would pray, I would pray to St. Jude to help me return to health. But, it was to St. Patrick, to whom I prayer so that I would not fear death. I still pray to him so that I would be prepared whenever that time comes.

Since I mentioned that Bill may have celebrated this day in New York, I am posting a photo where he looks to be in his 20s, and therefore, still living in the city. Since this day (to me) always meant a day of immigrant celebration (not just Irish), my musical share is a song that Bruce Springsteen describes as a "immigrant" song.


American Land

No comments: